Thursday, November 8, 2007

Of Mine Fields and Ghosts

If I had to describe the days at work recently, though I'd prefer not to, they would be a roller-coaster of emotions. One moment I'm on top of the game, the next struggling to make sense of what mine field I just walked through. In a mine field, you are almost certain to trip a wire or step directly on a mine. Then things blow up. That's what mines do. But you know that as you walk into the field. No my days are more surprises when I step on a mine because I thought I was safe on the solid road. The phone rings, I answer it, and I look around. I am not safe on the road anymore. Now I am in the mine field. One blew up in front of me. I see two more ahead. But I can't avoid them. Those will blow up unless I perform some impossible, herculean task. What do I do? I try to get that impossible task done. In many instances, I do that. The mine is avoided. But I am left spent. Back out on the safe road. I pick up my gear and wander to the next town. The invisible force that lifts me up and places me into the mine field is always around. Somedays, he leaves me alone. Most days recently though, he covertly puts me right back in there.

No comments: